Saturday, September 03, 2005

A word of Caution

I got another fake email from ebay this evening telling me that I was going to be "yadda yadda yadda nuked, not able to use my ebay account or something" if I didn't update my information. Totally false, but it looked really good, even had all the usual ebay disclaimers about being careful of fake ebay emails. The sending email address wasn't even trying to be clever and have an ebay-like name, but some do. When I went to forward it to spoof@ebay.com for them to follow up on (they do file criminal charges on people when they're able to get enough evidence) it managed to freeze up my computer, necessitating my checking the computer for worms, virus items, or nasty loggers. BEWARE. Never, ever respond to anything that says it's from Ebay or Paypal that asks you to enter any information. Always check for worms in your computer and then sign on to Ebay or Paypal. If there is an issue with your account, they'll have a message for you there. They'll never email you asking for information. Please always forward these type of messages to spoof@paypal.com or spoof@ebay.com for follow up by authorities. Just a word to the wise.

No comments: