Sunday, January 04, 2009

Working toward a better 2009

Everyone is talking about New Year's Resolutions, and I try very hard every year not to make any because they are so easy to break. But 2008 was challenging for a lot of reasons for me, and though I can't change a lot of things, but I can work on changing some of them.

Unfortunately due to stress and some medication I was on during 2008, I've put on weight to the point that much of my clothing doesn't fit. I actually had to hit the after Christmas sales to get a couple of items to supplement the clothing that I can still wear until such time that I can drop enough of the weight to get back into what I already have. But losing weight alone is not one of my "resolutions", rather it's to get more fit and healthy. So I went back to weight watchers, and I'm on the program again. And I'm trying to move and get stronger and fitter again, it's been too long since I was there. I've been going to the gym at least to walk whenever I can, and we took a "beginner or older citizen" class the other day that kicked my butt! The median age in that class was probably 65 and they seemed to be participating with more ease than I could manage on my first visit...but everyone was so incredibly friendly and supportive and I am going to go back whenever I'm not flying. I'm going to a beginner yoga class tomorrow before the fitness class. Hey, I just want to lose a bit of weight and not have such a hard time getting off the couch!

With that one comes retaking control of my eating and my life...no more grazing, rather I'm going to be planning what I make and pack for lunch and dinner when I'm flying, and what we eat when I'm home. Saturday night is our "night out" but I am trying not to overdo it those nights either. It had been a fun summer and fall not worrying about what I was eating, but that's over. The leftover cookies got thrown out on Friday along with the fudge. lol

Another "to do" list item for the new year is to try to reduce the amount of clutter and material things in my home and in my life. It's overwhelming. I've already learned to say no to a lot of items that I might in the past have acquired, partially that is economic, but partially because I don't have room in my home or my life for it. Part of that item includes working on and hopefully finishing projects that I've started and when I need or want to do something that isn't yet started, to do so with the materials that I have here at home. (For example, next weekend I'm doing a Civil War sewing class, and I'm going to use fabric and trims that I have in my stash exclusively. Nothing new.) Along with that goes cleaning out and "rehoming" things that I don't use often here.

Hey, I'm a work in progress. I believe in positive thinking...In Louise Hay's fantastic book "You can heal your life" (which I've gotten a bit away from) she suggests making positive affirmations and saying them often while you take the steps necessary to make them true, and so that you change your life to live them. Here's mine for today:

I approve of myself. All of my relationships are loving and fufilling. I am healthy, happy, and prosperous. I am fit and in control of what I eat and enjoy being that way. I am letting go of those material items that no longer benefit my life. I see the grace and beauty in my surroundings.

Have a great day, everyone!

No comments: