Sunday, May 06, 2007

MSWF: Sunday Edition

I had no intention of going back to the Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival this morning, but as we were going to bed last night, Mark mentioned that I probably should take the fleeces that were still in my basement from long ago to the Woolen Mill at the festival (they send a trailer to bring back wool to be processed at their mill in Michigan so it saves me a bunch on shipping). So the fact that I went back is totally Mark's fault. We did get the Ronmey fleeces to the processor, we had about 25 pounds which will be made into batting for quilts and comforters as well as roving to spin. I have one queen size quilt started that will receive one of the woolen batts as it's stuffing. I also had a couple of crib quilt batts made and another one for our bed...you never know when you're going to need a new quilt for someone, you know. Good thing Jenn and Michael are moving to Hawaii and they don't need a quilt with a woolen batt for a long time!

These corriedales are some of the sheep that we saw in the barns as we were walking around. We ate the wonderful festival food that we look forward to every year, lamb sandwiches, lamb burgers, sheep pitas, funnel cakes, fresh lemon and limeade.yummy!
While we were eating, we just happened to run into Liz and Vee, much to my absolute delight! I didn't expect to see her at all, much less Vee but I got to see them both! And then even better, we all went over and got to see Myrtle Dow of Black Pines sheep and her babies in the barn. Vee and I each bought a CVM fleece (I sent mine to be processed, it's variegated white, grey and white, 5.25 pounds....I'm thinking aran sweater). Myrtle raises Wenslydales, Teeswaters, Karakuls, and California Variegated Mutants and honestly she has the absolutely most beautiful, cleanest fleeces I've ever seen. I have one of her grey CVM's and a chocolate in my basement made up into roving and waiting to spin. I just need more time! Liz got to spend time with Risa who I looked for until we left but didn't run into. It's so nice to have spent time with my fiber friends and sheepies too. And please don't make me confess to the 2 new spindles that I'll be adding to my collection. :)

1 comment:

CrazyFiberLady said...

Looks like you had a great time. Love CVM! I'm sorry I didn't see you at the festival either.