Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Road trip on a beautiful day!

It was a beautiful early spring day here in Baltimore, our temperature was supposed to get up to nearly 80 degrees and I needed to go do some errands and get a few things for my class next weekend. I worked hard all morning to finish my business work and then was out the door to one of my favorite places.

Less than an hour's drive found me in Gettysburg, PA, en route to my favorite Civil War fabric shop. I spent about 2 hours there getting everything on my list for my class (and some beautiful dress fabric as well) and then went down the road to the Egg farm to get a couple of dozen fresh brown eggs. I stopped at the Battlefield to enjoy the day, got to hear some of a ranger talk, and generally enjoyed the peace and serenity of this beatiful place, preserved only due to the battle there in 1863.
As you can see, I favor the jewel tones in my fabrics, though I've been trying very hard to incorporate more lighter colors for the summer camping season. I am going to use the cream background floral print for the upcoming bodice class, and then decide once the bodice is done what I'll do with the sleeves. I have nearly a class per month from now until the end of the year so I'll be busy learning new things and sewing in my spare time!
This is the latest project that I've been working on, it's just a simple camp dress for the hot summer months when it's too hot to have darker colors on. We did a Reenactment last August (The Battle of Hanover) when it was over 100 degrees with the humidity so I wanted a dress with unlined sleeves. I have a long way to go to finish this one, the bodice is just pinned to the skirt! This dress looks way too blah for my usual love of color and pattern, but it'll be just right for a camp dress so I'm making myself like it! lol

No comments: