Sunday, May 25, 2008

Saturday's Excellent Adventure

We started our Saturday adventure a little bit later in the day than usual this week, but it was a sunny and bright day that was supposed to be warm so we didn't want to waste it! Our first stop was York for breakfast, then on to Lancaster to do a little shoe shopping for me. We hit the outlets and I came out of there with "more than one" pairs of flats, a couple heels and a great sandal for walking, all at an incredible deal with an extra 15% off coupon and a $5 gift card. You don't want me to tell you how much I got for how little...but I'm smiling! Then the plan was to go to Harrisburg and took the road that went right by Hershey. Mark had never been there, and I had only been to the theme park up there (so long ago that Jonathan wasn't tall enough to go on most of the rides!!) so off we went. This is the entry to Chocolate World which has activities for kids such as the factory tour and a super gigantic chocolate store, 3-d adventure, yadda yadda.
This Chocolate Fountain was in the bakery part of the food court. Of course, Mark thought it looked like a Chocolate Stanley Cup (you know where his mind is!) They had really decadent deserts, and a place where you could make your own kisses, we walked on and looked at all the products that made the chocoholic in me go wild. I am really partial to dark chocolate and there was no disappointment here, I didn't get any baked goods, but ice cream tempted me.
This is me eating some Hershey's Chocolate and Strawberry ice cream. Even though I had help, I couldn't finish it all. The plants are actually inside of the building and right in the middle of the food court and retail floor. I'd made some purchases (like Chocolate Twizzlers that are so fresh and soft they're unbelievable and some dark chocolate Reeses cups...I could go on... )
Needless to say this is going to be a difficult time for me to lose weight! This is just one of the many displays of different kinds of Hershey's Kisses. Hershey's also makes York peppermint patties, Cadbury products for the us, and some of the Mars candy company items like Zagnut... The displays were numerous, and they had a wardrobe of teeshirts and things like that with chocolate logos for the fans. None for me though.

In the middle of town in Hershey, the streetlamps are shaped like kisses. I'd not seen them before so I thought it was really neat! My mom's friend used to come up here when I was a kid and told me about the lamps...they're really wonderful, even more so in person. And the main street in town is Chocolate Avenue...I want a house on that road so I could have that as my mailing address!! Some of the other street names are cocoa and such.
As you can see, every other one is wrapped, and the alternating one is unwrapped. :) And yes, you can smell cocoa and chocolate all over town by the factory. I wonder if the residents even still smell it anymore or if they are so used to it that it's no big deal.
This is a beautiful scenic road that lead from the historic Derry Church yard to the Factory. All over town, the Hershey company has offices and factories and buildings. And not to mention that a lady we met in the Chocolate world told me about an outlet center right next to the stadium in town...and it had a Chicos, my favorite clothes store! Let me tell you about the $3.96 jackets I found. lol Then it was off to Harrisburg for a meal at the Appalacian Brewing Company main branch. It was really nice, we belong to the beer club with them in their Gettysburg location but hadn't been to this one. We did end up in Gettysburg and ran into our favorite singer, Bill Vitelli who told us he was singing that night at the Farnsworth house. We were able to catch him singing with his fantastic Acapella tenor voice, doing Irish and Civil War era songs, it was great!
We got home at a fairly respectable hour, and were up this morning just in time to enjoy the beautiful newly opened buds on these friends in the garden. Too bad I have to work tomorrow, it's been such a wonderful weekend so far, I'd love to continue it for the holiday tomorrow. :)

No comments: