Thursday, April 02, 2009

Finished one project, well, sort of

This morning I finished my Norwegian Morning Cap which is a Knit Along with the Civil War needleworker's group. It went fairly quickly and is an easy pattern. I used fingering weight yarn on size 2 needles, it's supposed to be like a head shawl...it's very small on me. The pattern is from 1862 and there is no gauge or I would have checked, I don't knit particularly tight, and there was discussion on the board about some folks using laceweight yarns. The original pattern calls for Shetland which is not stretchy, but I used Merino which has added springiness that will probably block out making it larger. There is a crochet edging which is scallops that will be added in the stripe color but I still think that unless it blocks out to the size I'd like, I'm not going to waste my time putting on the edging. I'll make another one on size 4 or 5 needles, it'll be very lacy then, but hopefully it'll look nice.
A box came yesterday from a purchase I'd made on ebay last week. It was under $40 for the item and the shipping all together, and since it's from the 1890's I didn't think that was bad regardless of the wear and damage listed on the listing. As you can see, Belle is very interested in what's going on as I pulled the smaller box out of the bigger box.

This is a folding Victorian era needlepoint chair and is about the right size for a child, it's no moore than 2 feet off the ground. Obviously I didn't buy it to sit on, but rather to collect. It is going to take some careful hand sewing to repair the issues with the needlepoint seat and the webbing underneath, but I am up for the challenge, it looks rather straight forward. I also think some lovingly applied polish on the wood might help as well. It's amazing to me that this chair, which is fragile looking to begin with, is nearly 120 years old...I would bet it has stories to tell if it could only talk! The Civil War era folding chairs that I've seen are even more fragile as they don't have the sides from the seat to the back...to allow for ladies to sit in their cage crinolines.

1 comment:

Jody said...

What a lovely chair...That can't be the original needlework or it would have cost alot more wouldn't it?