Sunday, April 12, 2009

Adventures

Part of what I've been working on lately is getting some projectes completed. Some of my flannel night gowns are getting truly threadbare so I took out the flannel stash and got it all washed up and folded. Belle found the pile immediately, and since she loves to sleep on my fabric on the cutting table, it didn't take an instant for her to be all over this soft pile.
I was actually working on finishing a Civil War dress so I was looking at what I was doing, when I looked up at her, she was already sound asleep on the fabric. I'm glad I didn't want to use it anytime soon!
The next project that I took out to finish this weekend was my Norwegian Morning Cap for the Civil War Needleworker's Knit along. I finished it last week and blocked it and had threaded all the ribbon through before I went to Chicago for my meeting on Tuesday. I needed to hand sew down all the ends of the ribbons in the stripes and sew the ends of all the ribbons hanging in bows or ties. It took me a couple of hours this morning and now it's ready to wear.
I put the Morning cap on the floor to take a picture of it and Rosie thought that the ribbon looked very interesting. It took some serious urging and a relocation to get her out of the way so I could take the picture! It looks really nice when on, and I really loved the ombre ribbon that I had in my stash.
We went to an antique mall yesterday and wandered around for a couple of hours. I got a few things (some old metal knitting needles that were perfectly fine for $1 a set, an oil can for my sock machine oil...the kind of things that are less expensive used even though they're antique. I also found this comb. I'm not sure what it is, but it's curved so it's a Back comb, and I liked it. I didn't pay much for it so I'll have to do some research on it. I know it's most likely before 1920 but I didn't find any examples that looked similar in the books I've found. That's part of the fun of collecting, learning about them! :)

1 comment:

Jody said...

What a beautiful comb! When I am in Europe I luv to look at the old clothing from centuries ago ( I saw alot in churches). It is fascinating.