Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Sleepy day

Today is another of many overcast days in a row. I got home from flying late last night and the cats woke me up this morning again for an early breakfast. It was two late nights in a row, and I just never could get going so I decided to work on my Ravelry site. It's neat because it has a place for your knit, crochet, and spinning projects, both completed and in progress, and I have many. Here you see Belle, who was being a bit needy today and hanging out with me as I worked on organizing and listing some of the stash of yarn I have. I have a couple of drawer units that have yarn in them and honestly I don't have a good handle on what is in my stash anymore so it was great to get started on posting my yarns on Ravelry. You can even sell or trade yarns from your stash on that website. I got only one drawer finished and cleaned out, but it's a start. I had to take pictures of all the yarn, it was very slow going.
I also posted information about various projects that are in progress on my Ravelry site so I had to take pictures of them. This pair of socks is in a pattern called "Central Air" which is a very easy lace pattern and I'm using a Socks that Rock Colorway called "Lucy". I have to pay attention while I'm doing this pattern and I haven't been flying any trips that give me a moment to sit in the gateroom between flights to knit, so I haven't made much progress. Hopefully eventually I'll have some quality knitting time. I started this one right after getting home from vacation at the end of April.
This sock is called "Cedar Creek" and it's in the "Rooster Rock" colorway, again by Socks that Rock which is my favorite sock yarn. I have made socks from other yarns, but I love theirs the best. I like the yarn itself, and the colors are beautiful. This is one of my favorite colorways so far. I've been going back and trying to do the older Socks that Rock club patterns from when I was not yet a member. I've been doing them mostly in the recommended or pictured color for the particular color (except the first one above, that color wasn't available-they rotate their colors) so that I expand my horizons and don't end up with a lot of similarly colored projects. I probably wouldn't have chosen this color from the swatches on their yarn site, but I love it in person.
This project is the March package for this year's Socks that Rock club, the pattern is called "Rogue Roses" and the colorway is "Gertrude Skein". I have been working it a little bit but I keep getting distracted by other things because I'm very much not impressed with this colorway. The pattern is not the most fun to knit either, combining cables with a traveling panel on a perl ground on the front and back for the pattern. The two socks will be mirror images of each other so they have to be done on different and opposite patterns. I will finish this but so far it's not my favorite.
I pulled out some of the "hibernating" projects that I've started in the past and it was a very good idea to go through the works in progress pile. This is my "Rosemarkie" vest from Alice Starmore's Celtic Knitting book. I really love the colors and it'll be my first priority when the above socks are finished to work on. I had to look for the book again to get the pattern from as I'd lost one of the sheets I'd copied it to (I don't want to carry and ruin the book while I'm working on the project) and took that opportunity to perch on the back of the sofa in front of the bookshelves and list my entire library of knitting books on my bookshelf on Ravelry. I had books that I'd forgotten, so, again, it was good that I spent the morning working on my Ravelry site.
This next hibernating project is a baby sweater that I'd started when Jenn found out she was pregnant with Aidan. It was also before they found out that they'd be having the baby and living in Hawaii so they weren't going to need a sweater. The pattern is free on http://www.knitty.com/ and is very easy, I just have to get back into it and get moving. You do the front and back in a round and that is nearly finished. I have to get the sleeves going and finish the neck. I love doing fair isles knitting, it's so much fun! This one might get done by when grandson #2 and the family moves stateside and has cold weather again. No promises. Just "might get done".
This project is a bit problematic. I started it years ago when I was not at all familiar with cables. It gave me some much needed practice doing the cables, but it was much too complicated of a project for me to start for a first experience with a new technique, plus to experience having several different patterns rotating on different number of row repeats all at the same time. I have the front nearly completed, though there are some errors that are making me nuts because I can see them clearly now that I've been knitting more. I don't know how to take out cables, but I do know that there are places where the yarn is split and probably won't frog out very well so I'm thinking I might just leave it and do better on the other pieces and move on. I love the yarn which my husband picked out, but I really haven't decided if I'm going to work towards finishing the sweater yet. I'll leave it in hibernation for now. I'm not going to make a decision today.

No comments: