Monday, March 23, 2009

It's spring for reenactors

It was a huge busy weekend for us here. On Saturday our unit had their field trip to the New Visitor's Center at the Gettysburg National Military Park. We were accompanied by our "brother" unit from Hanover, PA and had a wonderful time. The newly restored Cyclorama is incredible. I just wish I'd had more time to look at it. This is the Paletot that I made in November, it's unlined and intended for warmer days or for wearing indoors, I just haven't ever had a picture taken of it. We're in the Gift shop here at the Park.
After we finished at the park, the unit went to Boyd's Bear's Barn for our monthly meeting and we had lunch. It was a quick meeting because we were all starving! Boyd's bear is a lot of fun, and if you ever get to Gettysburg, it's worth taking a couple of hours to go to, especially if you have little people with you. I'm wearing the Gutta Percha broach that was made by Second Mourning Reproduction Jewelry. I'm happy to recommend them, their prices are quite reasonable and their work is of quality, no bubbles or rough spots like other reproductions I've seen. They're at secondmourning@comcast.net, and they have earings, pendants, and many other broaches to choose from. I can't wait to get earrings to match. And no, the yoke on my dress isn't crooked, I am just sitting funny, besides having scoliosis which makes my shoulders uneven anyway. This dress was my class project for the Genteel Arts Yoked bodice class in January.
We did some errands after the meeting, one of which was to stop in at Needle and Thread in Gettysburg. This fabric spoke to me the last time we were here, yes, it's Civil War period, and I can't wait to make it into a dress, I need a more somber fabric for our cemetary dedication we do every year. Thank you to Mark for gifting it to me, it was unexpected and very much appreciated. It's a black background and looks lighter in this photo than it does on the bolt. I am already thinking of rust colored trim but I'll wait to get the dress started and see how much fabric I have for sleeve design and such, which hopefully will be in the next couple of days.
I have gotten started collecting Victorian hair combs. In the past, I thought they'd never stay in my hair until I discovered that you put them in on top (with the tines behind) of your chignon, bun, or hair rat, and they do stay in very well. They also cover the modern barette or clips that I use to keep my hair coiled and were a very popular accessory for women of the Civil War era. This one is a reproduction that I got in Gettysburg by Beth Miller, it's kind of crudely done in terms of the carving compared to the period ones I've seen.This one I purchased on Ebay. Though I can't find a book that I can use for reference on the combs yet, I am guessing this is post war. It was very inexpensive, and was sold as "Victorian" but that time period goes until 1901. This one has tiny red rhinestones in it that I think probably rule out Civil War. I've been parusing ebay for other finds, reproductions are fine for me since they're inexspensive, I'm going to wear them and don't want to have to worry about breaking them or losing them.



No comments: