Thursday, July 14, 2005

Volunteering and Spinning

I've always done some volunteer work, mostly with Scouts or the kids' schools, but thank you to Pat Lawrence, I've begun to volunteer at the Carroll County Farm Museum as a "spinster" in their living history area. I really enjoy it, I've been introducing lots of kids to spinning and fiber while actually getting a little bit of my own spinning done. I really enjoy touching the kids with this link to the poast and interesting them in fiber arts. The spinning Room is right next to the weaving room, and the children that attend the farm's summer camp program get to learn to weave a mug rug on looms, and spin a little bit on a hand spindle that they made in the camp. They also have tinsmithing, quilting, caning, blacksmithing (which hubby Mark is getting into), hearth cooking, and a wonderful house full of antiques and history to visit. This is the middle of a very historic area just south of Gettysburg. The Farm Museum has also begun a fiber guild which I'm very excited about. I would like to encourage everyone to find even a few moments per month to give in volunteer work of any kind. It's rewarding for you and good for the organization for which you work. DH and I are also on staff for the National Scout Jamboree starting next week touching the lives of kids (boys AND girls) with Scuba and Snorkeling.

No comments: