Saturday, April 01, 2006

A beautiful day in Maryland

It was a beautiful and a bit windy spring day in the Maryland countryside. Our reenactment/living history group met another group at the Union Mills Homestead for a day of play, friendship, and enjoyment of the weather. As you can see, it was blustery, a little bit challenging when wearing hoops and many layers of petticoats, I nearly got blown over a few times. I tried to knit while watching the units play, but the yarn kept being blown around so I quickly gave that up.
Jon learned to fire the mountain howitzer (blanks, of course) and all about safety, and at the end of the skirmish with the South Carolina unit, learned about bluffing when you're out of ammo! I was able to get a couple of good photos of the smoke coming out of the cannon...pretty impressive. I had no idea there were so many people needed for the procedure and so very many safety rules. I enjoyed watching the process.
This is my guy all dressed up and smiling because he got to fire a musket and run around and hide behind trees and just have fun. The looks on the faces of all involved said it all, fun and more fun. The unit had quite a group of spectators, even as the museum isn't even open for visitors this early in the year. After we finished, we went to Gettysburg to look around at the shops and then to a good dinner and home to put everything away. I'm sure everyone is going to sleep well tonight! Tomorrow I knit again! :)

No comments: