Monday, March 12, 2012

Conference 2012

The beginning of March always marks one of our favorite events: The conference on Ladies and Gentlemen of the 1860's in Camp Hill, PA. We spend a couple of days doing workshops that are hand's on and then spend a couple of days attending presentations and lectures by historians and researchers about the material culture of the 1860s.&
This year I took workshops on making personal flags, which were very common especially in the CSA, and also a class on making wristlettes for wearing with any attire but mainly dressy. I also took a class on making weighted pincushions (my pincushion has already come in very handy) and a beautiful belt. I took pictures of those with my phones so I don't have them handy for this post.  I ended up making 3 sets of different wristlettes, two flags, two pincushions, and a belt.  It was a very productive conference for me, though I ended up sewing all the time I was listening to presentations after the workshops had ended.

The biggest problem I encountered this year is that I've gained a bit of weight and when it came time to figure out what to wear for the fancy dress ball, the only thing that I had that fit was this mourning dress. I spent quite a bit of time working on making this silk taffeta dress for an event two years ago but something or other happened and I didn't end up wearing it so I'd never actually had it on.   It was hard enough getting laced into the corset that I've had since about 2005 when I was 30 pounds lighter, but when I went to braid my hair and put it up, the motion of lifting my arms tore out the sleeves from the bodice.  Thankfully some friends were staying in the room next door and were gracious enough to whip stitch me closed.  Luckly I had made a lightweight paletot for the occasion as well.

Here's the back of the paletot...I spent the better part of two years off and on putting the braid on this paletot. It was a lot of work and very frustrating but it ended up coming out nicely.
Here's the silk dress without the paletot, I love the shine and the way the fabric moves. It was a wonderful conference, and as usual, I'm looking forward to next year.

1 comment:

Stephanie Ann said...

The paletot and the wristlets are gorgeous!